What are Cookies?
Cookies are used to provide quicker access for Users of specific Services. Furthermore, Cookies personalize the Services offered by Websites, by providing each User with information that may be of interest to them, based on their use of the Services. A Cookie is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored on the user’s computer by the user’s web browser while the user is browsing, which can be updated and retrieved by the server/website that transmitted them.
Types of Cookies
According to the session management:
- Same-site cookies: Cookies that are stored on the user’s web browser from a computer or domain managed by the website itself and from which the service requested by the user is supplied.
- Third-party cookies: Also referred to as tracking cookies, these cookies are stored on the user’s web browser from a computer or domain that is managed by third parties.
According to their duration:
- Session cookies: Cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a website. These temporary cookies store information that is only interesting to keep whilst the service requested by the user is being provided (e.g. your online shopping cart).
- Persistent cookies: Persistent cookies store data on the user’s web browser, and its information will be transmitted to the server every time the user visits the website that it belongs to. These cookies expire at a specific date or after a specific length of time, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
According to their purpose:
- Technical cookies: These cookies allow the user to browse through a website, platform or application and use their different options or services, such as data traffic and communication control; session management; access to restricted access features. It also includes remembering the items of an order, processing a purchase order, registering for an event, using security features while browsing, storing content to broadcast videos or audio files or sharing content through social networks.
- Profiling cookies: These cookies allow the user to access a service with some previously set features based on a series of criteria on the user’s computer, such as language, the type of browser the user accesses the service, the regional settings for users to access the service, etc.
- Analytical cookies: These cookies allow the server/website to monitor and analyse the online behaviour of users. The information collected by this type of cookies is used in the measurement of website, application or platform activity and in the analysis of the browsing profiles of users of such websites, applications and platforms, in order to improve web analytics.
- Advertising cookies: These cookies manage as effectively as possible the advertising spaces included in a website, application or platform from which the requested service is supplied, based on criteria such as ad content or frequency.
- Behavioural advertising cookies: These cookies manage as effectively as possible the advertising spaces included in a website, application or platform from which the requested service is supplied. These cookies are designed to gather information from users on their devices to display advertisements based on relevant topics that may interest users.
Users can choose which cookies they want to disable on this website through their browser settings at any time.